Deacon's Bench

Present for my brother-in-law and his wife for their wedding.  Carcass is Soft Maple. Tops, back rail, handle and knob are locally cut 100 (ish) year old Norway Maple.




The idea came from this picture I found on-line.

I drew out plans to figure out assembly, and got my idea for the carved anchor from their "save the date" card.  


Some tools I made for this project (panel gauge and large accurate square) since I needed them anyway. (A la Christopher Schwarz)

Close-ups of the door lock mechanism while the glue dries.The wedge in top picture will be cut later.



Plowing the ship lap grooves for the back panel
Not much dust, but lots of shavings

Anchor relief carving
 





Dovetails


Creating the dadoes with saw, chisel and router plane




Joinery complete and ready for final sanding




Groove for the handle bottom, ganged with a forstner bit



Cutting the Norway Maple tops
Fitting/assembly
Fitting the carcass

.
Fitting cabinet carcass stringers




Pegged and lap jointed door frame


smoothing the Cyma curves

Skirt ready to install.










Comments

  1. amazing bro! I just posted on FB for everyone to check out!

    -Kraig

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment