Cherry bar stools

Started on my newest project, 24" bar stools.

 

 

A lot of Try plane work after I rip the taper on the band saw


 

 



The stool tops with the angled mortises drilled. The top one has Maple keys inserted in the splits for stability.

The top of the photo shows the strips of straight grain Hickory I'll use for the foot rests


Fairly quick work with a spokeshave and block plane. I tested each footrest end in a dog hole in the top of the bench
Completed quarter-sawn Hickory footrests and wedges for the leg mortises 


Saw kerfs for wedges cut, and holes bored for foot rests 


Look closely, and you can see the effect light has on Cherry. The left pieces are freshly sanded, the middle ones have been sitting in the shop, and the saw horse on the right is 5 year old Cherry with Linseed oil. The bottom piece in the top center of the photo has a stripe on it from the sunlight hitting it when another piece was partially on top.




Seats sanded, ready for assembly. Beer time.

Stools assembled, with Hickory wedges and hide glue keeping things tight.
Flush-cutting the excess tenons.


After Shellac wash, they're ready for finish



Second coat of varnish oil on and drying








Comments

  1. Ryan, I love, love, love the stools! I cant wait to get them to their new home. Thank you, for the additional bench and stool, I love them all. You have a great gift...I send you pictures of the table and stools. Thanks again, Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment