Adirondack Chairs



His and Her chairs. One Honduran Mahogany and one Spanish Cedar, for a wedding present.





Shaping parts with band saw, rasps and planes


Stop dadoes for the armrests made.


 Parts cleaned up and round-cornered on the router table.






Gluing up the rail and cross-member assembly. I'm using pieces of Gaboon Ebony as the wedges. You can see the Oak square I use in the second photo.










I scrounged every piece I could find in my lumber piles for this project. Because of the lack of lumber I had to glue up another main cross-member, as I made a mistake on the original one. Tite-bond III glue, which I use, is water proof so I'm not concerned, even though this is an outdoor project. In the pics above you can see the glue-up and the original piece, along with the mortise that I squared up. Originally it was out of square and consequently the tenon wouldn't fit square and snug.    






Some pics of assembly. I wait for the glue to set for each section before continuing. That's one advantage screws have over pegs I suppose.




Fitting the seat backs


Cleaning up protruding tenons









First coat of 50/50 Tung Oil Turpentine mix.I'll check for any defects when this coat is dry and add 3 to 4 more coats.

 

Comments