Growler Totes

I've been toying with the idea of making a few totes for the purpose of transporting standard size "Growlers", those glass jugs for local brew gathering. My buddy put the idea in my head and I since can't remove it. (darn it Jon)


 

 I've seen a few in the past and started to sketch one with details that I wanted to see in the design.(joinery, paneled bottom, not a dowel blank for the handle, extra-ordinary wood species or grain etc.)

Once I had enough on paper I went to work.
   
 


In application the design just didn't flow so I scrapped it and started over.


Scrap sub-flooring did the job for the templates


I normally don't follow plans or use templates, but I took care this time to make templates to be able to repeat curves and sizes if needed in the future




I went through my smaller boards and planed enough lumber for 12 totes or so, then cut the pieces following the templates. Finally I cleaned them up with a spoke-shave and hand plane.













Squaring up nice on a "shooting board"








The next few pics show the bottom panel for the frame and panel style bottoms being made and checked for fit.



Handles and supports being fitted and assembled




Carcasses being dovetailed and assembled














Comments